One dish fish recipe
I know that we should be eating more fish, but it is not one of my favourite foods, although I do like a good fish and chips. This recipe has evolved from Nigel Slater's Greek based fish with some tweaks and additions. It is a really easy recipe and a fish dish that I do actually enjoy. It is not strictly a one-dish recipe as the potatoes need to be steamed first but it all ends up in the same pan which makes the clearing up easy too. This recipe serves 2 but can easily be doubled up. Somehow it feels quite summery.
- One tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- One onion.
- One clove of garlic chopped, or half a teaspoon of lazy garlic.
- Half a chilli chopped, or quarter a teaspoon of lazy chilli (optional).
- 400g of new potatoes.
- A variety of softer vegetables such as courgette, mushrooms, peppers etc.
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Dried mixed herbs.
- Two salmon fillets.
- Salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Turn on the oven to 175 degrees.
- Wash the potatoes and cut up any larger potatoes into smaller pieces.
- Steam them, with the lid on, for about 15 minutes until just cooked. (Check after about 10 minutes).
4. While the potatoes are cooking, gently heat the oil in a heavy, ovenproof pan.
5. Chop the onion and add it to the pan with the garlic and chilli.
6. Fry for about 3 - 4 minutes until they have softened slightly, stirring regularly.
7. Chop the rest of the vegetables and add them to the pan.
8. Stir well and leave to fry very gently for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to stop them from sticking to the pan.
9. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and stir well.
10. Add a good pinch of mixed herbs.
11. Add some freshly ground black pepper.
12. Cook gently for a few minutes to heat the tomatoes.
13. Check the potatoes are cooked and add them to the pan and stir well.
14. Place the fish fillets on top of the vegetables.
15. Sprinkle the fish with a pinch of mixed herbs and some pepper.
16. Place in the oven at 175 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!