Courgette bake recipe
We grow courgettes and have found a variety of ways to use them over the years. I can't remember where the idea came from for this recipe, but we have been eating it just about every week during the summer for a long time. It is a fairly simple recipe but it is one of our summer favourites. We serve it on its own or with a side salad, but that is it. The rich flavour of the tomato sauce is such a holiday flavour to me, so it is a little piece of holiday all summer long. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. We actually call it courgettes and cheese, but that sounds a bit boring (although I am not sure courgette bake is any better!) Oh and it looks much better in real life!
Ingredients - serves 2.
- 450g potatoes
- Half a tablespoon of olive oil
- Half a vegetable stock cube
- Half a teaspoon of mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons of pesto
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 450g courgette
- 140g mature cheddar cheese
- Ground pepper to taste
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Red wine (optional)
- Turn on the oven to 175 degrees (fan) or equivalent.
- Chop any large potatoes into 2 or 3 smaller pieces (about 50g-60g size).
- Steam for 15 minutes or until they are just tender. Make sure you don't overcook them as they will fall apart when baked in the dish later.
4. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes to a small saucepan.
5. Pour water into the tin until almost full, swirl it around and add it to the saucepan. You can substitute red wine for the water or a half/half mix.
6. Crumble in the half vegetable stock cube.
7. Add half a teaspoon of mixed herbs, 2 tablespoons of tomato puree and 2 tablespoons of pesto and mix it all together.
8. Heat on a medium heat for about 15 minutes until it has reduced a little, but is still quite runny.
9. Slice the courgettes at an angle about 1cm thick.
10. Heat the oil in a saucepan; I use a ribbed skillet pan.
11. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until they have browned slightly.
12. When the potatoes have cooked leave them to cool for a few minutes and cut them into slices, also about 1cm thick.
13. Cut the cheese into slices and break off the basil leaves.
14. Now layer up the ingredients starting with a layer of tomato sauce (use about a third of the sauce).
15. Add a third of the potatoes, courgettes, cheese and basil and a sprinkling of pepper.
16. Repeat until you have three layers and you have used up all of the ingredients.
17. Bake in the oven for 35-40 mins at 175 degrees.
18. Serve and enjoy!