Chicken flatbread recipe
Last month I gave you the recipe for corn flatbreads so this month here is a recipe that uses the flatbreads. This recipe uses chicken but you could leave the chicken out and have vegetable flatbreads or substitute the chicken for steak, or lamb legs instead. You can have this recipe almost totally homemade by making the flatbreads, houmous, yoghurt and roast peppers yourself or you can buy all of those ingredients and make it super easy. If you buy grated cheese it would be easier still. So it can be a quick mid week meal or a more elaborate weekend meal - the choice is yours. What makes it extra special is the use of coarsely ground cumin and coriander seeds, which give a wonderful flavour. Enjoy!
Ingredients - serves 2
- One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- One small onion
- One teaspoon of chopped lazy garlic
- One large or two small chicken breasts
- 3 peppers (I used red, yellow and orange).
- 5/6 mushrooms
- One small courgette
- One teaspoon cumin seeds
- One teaspoon of coriander seeds
To serve: 4 flatbreads or wraps, tub of houmous, natural greek-style yoghurt, grated cheese, chilli sauce (optional).
- Heat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Chop up the red pepper into 6 large slices. Cut half of the orange pepper into 3 slices and repeat with half of the yellow pepper.
- Place the chopped peppers on a baking sheet, sprinkle with a half tablespoon of olive oil and toss the peppers in the oil to coat them.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, then turn the peppers and cook for a further 10 minutes.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a heavy pan.
6. Chop the onion finely and add to the pan.
7. Add the garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion has started to soften.
8. Chop the chicken breast into small pieces and add to the onion and garlic.
9. Cook for a few minutes stirring occasionally until the chicken has started to lose its pink colour.
10. Then chop the remaining peppers finely.
11. Chop the mushrooms and courgette and add all of the vegetables to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes.
12. Put the coriander and cumin seeds into a mortar and crush the seeds with the pestle until they have broken down but are still a bit coarse.
13. Sprinkle the seeds over the chicken and vegetables and mix well.
14. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the vegetables and chicken are cooked.
15. Add a little more oil during the cooking if necessary.
- Warm the flatbreads by microwaving them individually for 15 seconds or wrapping them all in foil and heating in a warm oven for 7-8 minutes.
- Put a layer of houmous on the flatbread.
- Now add some of the chicken and vegetable mixture
- Add some yoghurt, roasted peppers and grated cheese. You can add a bit of chilli sauce if you like your food spicy.
Fold the flatbread around the filling and enjoy!