Carrot cupcake recipe
I don't believe in making any food off limits, but I am always looking for healthier alternatives and these carrot cupcakes are quick and easy to make and they are a healthier treat than most shop bought cakes. Whilst I don't eat cake every day, there are some times when only a cup of tea and cake will do. These aren't too sweet, so if you want a sweeter version you can always add a little icing. I hope you enjoy them.
Ingredients - makes about 12 cupcakes
- 120g of grated carrots
- 120g plain wholemeal flour.
- 120g castor sugar.
- 110g extra virgin olive oil.
- One teaspoon of baking powder.
- Two beaten eggs.
- 50g sultanas (optional)
- 25g walnuts - chopped (optional)
- Heat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Grate the carrots.
- To get 120g of grated carrot you will probably need about 150g of carrot to start with. It never looks as though there is a lot left behind during the grating but somehow I always seem to lose about 30g in the process.
4. Measure the oil, flour, baking powder, eggs and sugar into the bowl and mix well with a fork (see picture on left).
5. Finally add the sultanas and walnuts (if desired) and stir in carefully so they are well distributed.
6. Spoon the mixture into some cupcake cases. It is quite runny at this stage.
7. Cook for 15 - 18 minutes in the oven at 175 degrees C.
8. After 15 minutes check they are cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cakes. If the skewer comes out clean they are cooked.
9. Leave to cool on a wire tray.
10. If you like a sweeter cake make up a small amount of icing by mixing a little icing sugar with a few drops of water. Be very sparing with the water as you can always add more but a little goes a long way!
Or make a little icing by mixing some cream cheese with icing sugar to taste.