I recently entered a book giveaway and was delighted (!) to receive a copy of ‘The 28 day alcohol free challenge’ by Andy Ramage and Ruari Fairbairns. I had no intention of joining in the challenge having previously resisted Dry January and Sober October, but as I started to read somehow I felt the need to take part. Whilst I know I don’t drink to excess, I do like wine with dinner at the weekends and in an earlier blog I had come to the conclusion that as long as I was sticking to no more than the recommended 14 units a week that was fine for me. But the more I read, the more I had to question how dependent I might be on those glasses of wine and what it might be doing to my health. I decided there and then to start the challenge and since it was a Monday the first few days were really easy as I don’t usually drink during the week.
So here I am on day 10 and happy to report that I have not had any difficulty saying no to a drink (phew), and that I have been investigating all sorts of non-alcoholic alternatives. So here are my tasting notes so far.
- Tomato juice with Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and pepper: Delicious, very grown up non-sweet drink and my favourite alternative to a glass of wine. (I know lots of people who really dislike tomato juice; seems to be a love it or hate it drink).
- Freixenet alcohol free sparking wine. Actually not that bad for alcohol free wine. All previous alcohol free wines I have tried have been undrinkable, but this was not as sweet as I expected and felt like a little treat. Definitely one I will be having again.
- Marks and Spencer ready mixed G&T substitute – really not much flavour at all. Pleasant but I would prefer just a plain tonic.
- Fever Tree tonics – I love the Refreshingly light plain tonic and the pink Aromatic light version. The latter has such a beautiful colour that it feels very special. A great pre-dinner drink.
- On the beer front I have tried a Becks Blue, which was not bad although like most alcohol free beers it has a bit of a strange aftertaste, but it was so much better than Heineken 0.0 which I will not be drinking again.
Over the next 18 days I will try some more and let you know how I get on. If you have any recommendations, please let me know.